And so the rainy season has begun in Portland. (I suppose it has never really ended...) With the weather comes lots of soup recipes in our household. This past week I made a yummy chicken noodle soup. Below is the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs---which I didn't have on hand, so I used a pinch of Italian spice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 8 ounces dried wide egg noodles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme (Italian spice) and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and simmer for 5 minutes until tender. Fold in the chicken, and continue to simmer for another couple of minutes to heat through; season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!